How to Become a Dental Assistant in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Dental assistants are important members of the dental care team, assisting dentists in providing quality oral healthcare. The duties you’ll have if you become a dental assistant in Winston-Salem may include assisting the dentist during procedures, taking x-rays, scheduling appointments and helping patients feel comfortable during treatment.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, is called the city of arts and innovation. Located northwest of the geographic center of the state, this city is known for abundant water, a temperate climate and rich history. It’s continually creating a diverse business base, which means there’s plenty of opportunity for growing dental practices and a career as a dental assistant.
Dental Assistant Training in Winston-Salem
The requirements for becoming a dental assistant vary from one state to another. Details on the requirements to become a dental assistant in North Carolina are detailed by the Dental Assisting National Board.
Dental assistants are classified at different levels in North Carolina depending on the amount of experience and training they have. These levels are DA I, DA II in Training and DA II. Formal training to become a dental assistant in Winston-Salem can be found at the following schools:
- Forsyth Tech Community College offers a dental assistant diploma program that teaches you the skills required to provide chairside, clinical and radiographic care. Completion of this program prepares you to take the Dental Assisting National Board examination.
- Lake Norman Dental Assisting School is located in Mooresville, NC, and offers both dental assistant and orthodontic assistant training for students from Winston-Salem and other surrounding areas. The program can be completed in 12 weeks and teaches you what you need to know for an entry-level job in this field.
Job Outlook and Expected Salary for Winston-Salem Dental Assistants
As of 2017, dental assistants in in Winston-Salem were making an average of $19.88 per hour and $41,350 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The highest paid dental assistants in this city earned an average of $51,700 annually the same year.
There were 8,970 dental assistants working in North Carolina in 2016, with 500 employed in the city of Winston-Salem, according to Career One-Stop. The number of dental assistants working in this state is predicted to experience phenomenal growth of 24 percent to 11,090 by the year 2026.
Dental Assistant Opportunities in Winston-Salem
Job opportunities for dental assistants are most often found in dental and orthodontic clinics and offices. Winston-Salem is the fifth largest city in North Carolina. With continued growth in the city and surrounding area, if you choose a career as a dental assistant in Winston-Salem, your skills will be in high demand.
Related Posts from the Blog
- Premier Dental Assisting Academy vs. Charlotte Dental Assistant School. Which is better?
- Triangle vs. Sunrise: Which Is the Better School in the Northern Raleigh Area?
- NC Dental U: A Review
- Studying Dental Hygiene at Central Piedmont Community College