Dental Assisting Training Programs in New Hampshire

There is robust growth in health care employment across the US, and the state of New Hampshire forms part of that trend with dental assisting jobs expect to increase by 10% during the decade to 2028. [Seguir leyendo en español]

This page provides detailed information on the education and training options for anyone wishing to start a career in this profession.

Search Dental Assistant Programs

Get information on Dental Assistant programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Ad

Dental Assistant Requirements in New Hampshire

The requirements for dental assistants in New Hampshire are somewhat more complicated than in other states as it defines five different levels of qualifications. A full list of allowable and prohibited duties for each of these levels can be found here.

  1. At the basic level a Dental Assistant, performing basic duties as defined by the New Hampshire dental practice act and supervised by a licensed dentist, requires no special training or education.
  2. Dental assistants in New Hampshire holding a DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) may perform duties beyond basic procedures, such as removing sutures and dressings or applying topical fluoride after prophylaxis by a licensed professional. In some cases, such as in the placing of periodontal dressings, the CDA must also have 400 hours of clinical experience in the function.
  3. Similar functions are permitted to Graduate Dental Assistants. These are persons who have graduated from a CODA-accredited dental assistant program.
  4. A Dental Assistant qualified to perform expanded functions (except restorative duties) must be at least 18 and hold adequate qualifications for the expanded function.
  5. The Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) is permitted to place, contour and adjust direct restorative materials within the oral cavity. To qualify and to register as an EFDA, you must be at least 18, be a registered or graduate dental assistant, or hold a DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification and meet the requirements above for both infection control and inspection of the oral cavity (see above). Additionally, you are required to have 4,500 hours of clinical experience, be recommended by a New Hampshire licensed dentist for the EFDA Course, complete a Board approved EFDA course in dental restorations, and be currently certified in CPR.

See this page for information on dental hygiene schools in New Hampshire.

Dental Assistant Salaries in New Hampshire

For full information on how much dental assistants earn in New Hampshire, as well as future jobs prospects visit this page.