Studying Dental Hygiene at Central Piedmont Community College
With a 98% pass rate for the last six years, the program for dental hygiene at Central Piedmont Community College offers students a comprehensive dental education. The college also provides a vibrant campus life and valuable real-world preparation.
The course has a reputation for furnishing graduates well with the skills needed for life and their careers, but what does the dental hygiene program offer in terms of coursework?
Below, we’ll share everything you need to know about attending the dental hygiene program at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC.
Recognized by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) the program for dental hygiene at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC spans two years. After the course, candidates earn an associate degree.
During the program, students cover how to:
- Determine patient oral hygiene or health and risk factors
- Diagnose oral disease
- Provide preventative oral treatment care to healthy patients and those with special needs
- Undertake a range of routine dental procedures
- Operate modern medical equipment and technology
- Put together personalized care plans using up-to-date scientific information and methodologies
- Refer patients in need of other care to the right healthcare professional
- Make ethical decisions and abide by profession-related standard practices as well as federal and state laws
- Use office management software including insurance coding
- Evaluate research on new techniques and products in the profession
- Adhere to professional etiquettes
- Identify career opportunities
Not only do students learn in the lecture hall and laboratories. During their coursework, candidates also have the opportunity of getting in-field experience with patients at the Central Campus Dental Clinic.
Beyond the academic program and campus opportunities, the program for dental hygiene at Central Piedmont Community College aims at giving students real-world skills and resources. The college gives candidates the opportunity to:
- Develop hands-on experience
- Network in circles that will advance their career
- Explore leadership opportunities
- Internship and international experiences
- And more
The college also encourages students to develop as well-rounded people by offering experiences of the performing and visual arts on campus.
Student and Campus Life
Central Piedmont Community College boasts over 70 officially-endorsed organizations for students to join. These include clubs to help students explore fitness, recreation, the arts, leadership skills, and a lot more. Students can also join the college’s Dental Hygiene Club.
There is also a Student Government Association, and a Service Learning Center to coordinate liaison between students, instructors, and a range of other service providers
As you can see the program for dental hygiene at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC has the edge over a lot of other dental hygiene colleges in North Carolina and in the country. With its real-world and well-rounded development approach, the college is an excellent choice to prepare students for their careers as well as for life.